(Communication languages: German, Japanese, English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Wu Chinese, Classical Chinese, and Python.)
With a goal to do life-long research on languages and human intelligence, I am now an applied scientist intern at Amazon AI Lab with Prof Zheng Zhang. In Fall 2020, I will start my PhD in Natural Language Processing (NLP). I am engaged in Effective Altruism (EA), a social movement to involve people in doing good in (proveably) the most efficient way. My dream is to be a professor and actively promote AI for social good.
With an undergraduate degree (1st Honors) from the University of Hong Kong in 2019, I now have 5 NLP papers at top conferences (incl. AAAI, ACL, EMNLP, NAACL, AAHPM). For most of my papers, I worked remotely with the Clinical Decision Group of Prof Peter Szolovits at MIT CSAIL. My undergraduate research thesis was supervised by Prof Benjamin Kao at the University of Hong Kong. During 2017 – 2018, I was selected to the Special Student Program at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where I worked on NLP algorithms and applications to clinical decisions, with Enrico Santus at MIT and Prof Charlotta Lindvall at Harvard Medical School.
My Skill Set
I am passionate about bringing changes to the world. Here is my skill set besides AI research.
Languages that I master
- English (1st* by the total number of speakers)
- Mandarin (2nd)
- German (12th)
- Japanese (13th)
- Yue Chinese/Cantonese (17th)
- Wu Chinese (21th)
- Literary Chinese (used in 1300BC-1949AD)
*Statistics from Ethnologue (Mar 2019)
- Design: Photoshop, Unity, WordPress, Prezi, Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
People I Respect
- Aristotle, Descartes, Russell (philosophy + math/physics + other insightful opinions on life and the world)
- Jesus, Buddha
- People who build insightful, sustainable political systems
- Nassim Taleb (for being a thought-breaker)
- Rada Mihalcea, Mister Rogers (for being extremely kind, almost like the perfect human)
- Interesting figures in Chinese history: Xuanzang玄奘 (for strong will power, firm belief, debate skills, multilingualism, ability to spread his tenants), Zhang Zhidong张之洞 (for being a solid traditional literati, and strong politician with an open mindset when the western people opens China).
More About me
If interested, please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
*More info: My Chinese name is 金致静. I graduated from the key class (1507届科创班) at No.2 High School of East China Normal University (华东师大二附中), Shanghai, China.